Have a question about your tax code?

Sep 8 2023

If your payslip displays a tax code that is different from your most recent P45 or has changed recently (up to three months) you should register for a personal tax account.

Don’t forget, you can also use the tax code query tool to find the answers to the most common tax enquiries.

Alternatively, if you are a new employee and unsure where to send in your P45 or employee starter checklist, you can raise an IBC enquiry. Just search ‘raise an enquiry’ on the IBC Shared Services portal.

How can I contact HMRC?

If you need to get in touch with HMRC, just visit the contact HMRC web page. For all Income Tax enquiries, you can contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

Unsure what your tax code means?

If you are unsure about what your tax code might mean, just visit the tax code website to find out more information.

How long will it take to make a change to my tax code?

The amount of time it takes to implement a tax code change to your payslip may be impacted by your payroll deadline - if you have already send us your P45, make sure to check  payroll deadlines guidance page by searching ‘Payroll deadlines’ on the IBC Shared Services portal. If HMRC has issued you a new tax code, we will action it on next available payrun once we receive the employer copy from HMRC.

Have a question?  

If you have checked the guidance pages and you are still unsure, try using webchat. If you access web chat via the icon found on annual leave guidance pages, you will reach a specialist advisor who can assist you specifically on annual leave.

Web chat is instant and on average our advisors respond in 18 seconds. Just look out for the orange icon.